Saturday, February 04, 2006

a skin too few


hello. happy new year! its been a while since we updated this, sorry, I hope we haven't lost your interest.

becca and I went with some friends to see 'a skin too few: the days of nick drake', a documentary about the great singer-songwriter nick drake followed by a live performance of a guy covering nick drake songs. it was such a great evening. his music is always provocative, stirring up distant memories and causing one to be moved by life itself - the mundane through to the magical.

there is no actual film footage of ND, so the film was made up of interviews with his sister and those who worked with him and stills of ND and of dreary english countryside scenes, cambridge (where he 'studied') all accompanied by his music. it was very moving. ND suffered terribly from depression, which finally led to his death at 26 (suicide or confusion no one really knows). one of the things that really got him down was the feeling that his music didn't effect people, or help people in the way he had hoped and dreamed it would. his sister made the striking remark that 30 years on from his death, his music is having that effect on people - if only he knew. i have certainly found comfort and strength in his music, particularly in the harder bits of life.

one guy, i think his producer, commented "if a girl is over at a guys place and he puts on nick drake, she'll be thinking 'i'm gonna marry this guy'"! he was right - on one of our first dates, i played becca a nick drake LP, Pink Moon, i'd just bought in copenhagen!

2 comments:

suzyb said...

twas an absolute pleasure to see you again this week - twice in a fortnight! wowsers.

i think the quote was the other way around - if a guy goes round to a girl's place and SHE has some nick drake albums HE thinks "i'm gonna marry her" - but the effect is the same.

now, which single guys do i know who have nick drake albums....?

Rachel J-L said...

I saw that documentary on SBS a few years ago. It was so fantastic, wasn't it? I felt it captured him so well, despite having no footage of him. I remember the scene showing the layering of sound on his albums- they used "The Sound of the city clock" which I didn't know at the time so I had to go out and buy that album!
Anita was my introduction to Nick Drake.