Sunday, October 23, 2005

on the road

Becca currently has to work every other weekend, which sucks. So yesterday, in need of some open-road-solitude, i jumped up into the driving seat and took off, rather aimlessly (which was a great feeling) with the wind in my hair, footloose and heading south on the A23.

I found myself nearing Eastbourne, which was never part of the plan and certainly not where i wanted to spend a day of solitude. I've never been to Eastbourne but understand its a dive. Take the worst English seaside resort town, take out all the nice bits and you get Eastbourne. I could be wrong, but am none the wiser now, for as the miles between me and Eastbourne grew smaller I hastily took a right down a country lane that led me through gorgeous English, autumnal countryside and into a tiny villiage called Litlington.A lovely, quintessentially English village, so much so that I was forced into its delightful country pub for a sensible on-the-road-coffee-and-ploughman's lunch. I didn't get any ploughing done but instead continued on along the road to the sea!
I ended up just near a little place called Seaford (the bit just to the left of where the river meets the sea.)

It was so wonderful to see the sea, to feel its power and smell the salty air. It always reminds me of God's power, both to create and to save. I walked along the beach and then up to the top of the white cliffs of Seaford above. Dazlingly white, chalky earth and amazing, bright setting sun made for a fantastic effect. At the top of the cliff were some keen bird watchers (it took me a while to work out why they were there until I got up close and heard them speaking!)


I left the seaside feeling more alive and in touch with the God of the universe. So much so that I ran all the way back to the car! Driving home was fun, I ended up on larger roads which gave a more roadtrip feel to the whole thing - sitting on 80mph, changing lanes, big signs, fast changing senery etc. The sky was doing incredible things which I tried to capture as much of as possible on film without hitting too many cat eyes!

Arriving home to my wonderful wife topped off a special, re-creating, super-swell day! I highly recommend it (also, fuel pricese were a little lower down Seaford way!) To celebrate, neighbours put on a fireworkshow and the moon did some spectacular stunts.

No comments: