Friday, September 29, 2006

RIP Emmalemma


Dear Emma, the Jones dog of 17 years, went to sleep today. Her final tail wag. To awake in the big basket in the sky.

I feel very sad about this, and at the same time my day to day life here isn't effected - she was back home in Port Macquarie. Dear little Emma, she has been such a loyal part of our family for two thirds of my life.

I remember her turning into a kangaroo whenever we went to our farm. Disappearing in Perth in the middle of a great storm, and being out hunting for her only to have her happily come running up to me when I least expected it. Rolling in anything that had been dead long enough to stink. Sleeping on my beds (Sydney, Perth, Port Macquarie, the farm)! Being woken up by a 'thump. thump. thump. thump. thump. thump. thump', opening my eyes and having the happiest little face in mine and a wagging tail getting faster as I gained consciousness! I remember a quick exit whenever I'd produce my violin from its case. A speedy entry whenever anybody knocked, intentionally or accidentally, her chain. Or at the word 'walk' and eventually even 'w.a.l.k.'. Not getting on very well with small children - at least those more familiar with Barbie dolls than dogs. Not the pruning type were you. I remember your desperate expression whenever a bath was mentioned and forced upon you. You'd always give in and look very unimpressed with the whole ordeal. I remember your utter protection of all of us from imminent danger, but in particular your persistent barking whenever mum would dive into water. It would seem you saw her as mum too. I remember you staring out our guinea pigs. Usually staring to death our guinea pigs. But you had a good heart. Your phantom pregnancy was a bit weird. I remember your useless response to anyone's attempt at a game of fetch. Wasn't really a concept you grasped. I remember talking to you as if you could understand what I was saying. I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't all going in, but you sure had a pretty good idea. I remember playing with you in the park out the back in Parramatta and you chasing a women with a plastic shopping bag. I told my friend with me that she must have had drugs. 'Emma can smell out drugs'. I'm guessing it was a bag full of meat. I remember telling another friend you were born on the 43rd of July. That is also how the family began with its belief that you were born in August. I remember you negotiating those gaping holes in the board walk out the back of Mum and Dad's with such grace. I remember you sitting with us on the trampoline. Getting a bit confused by us playing 'elastics'. Cleaning anything fury with such vigour. It was cute with the cats, but a little disturbing with those brown sofas. Your skill at opening sliding doors. And even some handled doors. I remember you spewing up that tape measure way back when we were driving you home just after we'd picked you up from my friend's place for the first time. It kind of gave us an idea of what we were getting ourselves into. I remember you being such a happy little dog. I'm sad that you're gone. You're a part of our family Emma. I can still hear your bark, your stretching groans, your wolf howls whenever a siren would go by and your paws across a wooden floor. You were always up for a bit of fun. More enthusiastic about a good time than anyone I know. You'd clamber around excitedly and clumsily in response to the slightest suggestion of a game. Even if it wasn't intended for you. I remember thinking I could train you. Heel. Sit. Fetch. etc. I was wrong. We got sit. But you were quite the contrary type and would only do it after many a command. And sometimes a firm push on your rump. You'll never again welcome us home with something in your mouth. Anything in your vicinity would you would grab in your snout upon the arrival of anyone you loved. Regardless of size or mobility, you'd drag anything to us as a welcome gift. I remember you slinking out of a carpeted room and 5 minutes later Dad arriving home. How did you do that?! I remember when Dad discovered making a very loud noise with rolled up newspaper on the floor tended to make you do what he wanted. I was your master but he was your boss! You were very fast, I could never out-run you. Maybe just as well you didn't have to race me in these last few months. You were Emma Ebony Jones. A beautiful black splodge in the Jones family. In my mind, you're in the family portrait. A permenant fixture, even though there may always have been a fear that you were just temporary. Joneses don't have dogs! Turns out you were just temporary, but in a much better way. I love you.

Basket Emma!

9 comments:

Joshua said...

very sorry to hear about your dog Sam, though it sounds like you are very much enjoying remembering her. take care you two.

Anonymous said...

emma was a lucky dog to have you as her family

Benjamin Ady said...

Poor Megsie has just been crying and crying. Then again, crying releases lots of lovely endorphins.

Megs said...

i expected to cry and cry, and have just laughed so hard i nearly wet myself! (sorry, non-australians, if that is a little indelicate!!)

i toast our emma!

thank you sam for making me laugh, all your life long, and thank you becca for your lovely, gentle comment on my blog! a zine is kind of a magazine, self-published, which i'm doing with my writing group at new horizons. thank you so much again for your generous gift!! did they ever acknowledge receipt of it, or should i check?

today i am getting very excited about visiting you guys in january of 2008!! god willing, 'twill be with a teeny baby who thus far is just a twinkle ... i think here i shall stop!!

gretta at lothlorien said...

Oh Sam, that lovely tribute made me cry ,and I had already been crying all day. Remember how she used to bound up and terrify the Chinese ladies doing their am exercises in the park at Parramatta?/they'd run, and she'd happily chase. Also, how she slunk away from Ping the duck?? Actually, it was really hard AT THE ENd, as her legs would get stuck in those gaps in the boards out the back, and she hated that. I loved her vv much, and cuddled her as she died. Much love, Mum

Rachel J-L said...

Thank you, Sam, for sharing your memories. Hasn't she been a big part of our lives? Remember in her early days (maybe pre-grabbing something in her mouth?) how she would always widdle on the floor when we came in? She couldn't contain her excitement...
She died so very peacefully. Just went to sleep with Mum holding her and Sylv, Dad and I all patting her.
Dear Emma.

Anonymous said...

Ode to Emma dog, written the day before she died, after a walk on Nobby's Beach:

Man's best friend
Ever seeking affection
Barking. Annoying
Anger - yet always moderate -
Will you be quiet?

Rolled paper - the expert's advice
Parramatta - a 'westie'
Sam's school friend. Snap
A trip to Mt Druitt and a tape measure

A small round bundle
Curled up on Sam's bed
Until, until it grew, she grew
A code word in a computer!

Grew into our hearts and lives
Running, skipping with Megan
A low growl at a man with
a lawnmower - the Protector

A friend of Ilsa - sharing a bed,
Travelling across a vast continent
Sniffing - fleaing - licking
All affection - storge

Emma's view on Emma's hill
A seascape walk from home
Lost. Lost in a large block
of trees and scrub.

Searching. O Dear.
Found. Silly dog. Silly man.
Cared for. Fed. Scared of
Ping! What will she do?

Gretta's dog. O the tender
patient motherly care.
The domesticity of the ordered
life. Life that comes from God.

Nearer the end, the comfort.
The frustration - yet the desire
to care. The large sleeping bag
And the pink lady! What a warm coat.

Loved by all. Where does
all that affection come from?
Thank you. Thank you for
the love that links the memories.

Through a time of young children
in primary school through to grand parents
A time of sober reality and
learning to understand God's love

A time of healing. Approaching
a great event - a time of
joy, of delight, of mature
young love

Of hope and a future
Seeing what God will reveal
of himself in more and more
lives, here and everywhere.

Dad

Ado, Rose, Oliver and Imogen said...

I must add my condolences to your family at the loss of emma. I am priveledged to say I was able to know and love her. Rose had a chance to live there and so emma's story is interwoven forever in our lives as well. Love and Peace
Ado

sam becca zach and martha said...

Dad, I just found your poem now. It is so beautiful. You write so well about dear Emma. I love your writing. And you.
Sam