



here's sam and i looking rather melancholy and in need of a stiff drink after going to see the film 'Pierrepoint' a couple of weeks ago. it is a brilliant film but incredibly intense, sad and thought-provoking. it portrays the struggles of a man who, along side his normal daily life, was the top hang-man in the UK and tried to do the best job he could of hanging criminals quickly and humanely. he was sent to Germany to hang all of the Nuremburg lot. hanging that many people in his lifetime obviously affected him and his marriage drastically. the film ended with a quote from him saying that criminal punishment was nothing but revenge. what an awful weight to bear after spending a life-time pursuing excellence in his work for the government, following his father and grandfather's footsteps.we are members of clapham picture house and one of the perks is free viewings of films that are about to come out. our next free film will be 'Brick' (a twinpeaks/donnie-darko..esque thriller.. exciting!). they always take place at 11am on a sunday. so we get a nice coffee and croissant and cozily settle down in the cinema for some quality viewing and then emerge to the day ahead.
this time we headed for the pub and were joined by tom, anita & eddie. the pub we went to was Belle Vue near Clapham North tube station. it had a lovely atmosphere, yummy food and they were playing great music all afternoon. i think there was one particular bar tender who had good taste in music. he told us that his manager didn't actually like him playing his music but we convinced her that we (the clientele!) really liked it.
the baker street joneses quickly cheered us up!
today we are going to a birthday party for eddie who is turning one on wednesday.. horay!
8 comments:
SO good to have you at the party - thanks for the wonderful present
It is lovely to see where you are, and interesting to see what you are doing/reading/listening to. I have made an effort to listen to some of the music you mention so that I don't slip into the 'old' rut.
And great to 'meet' you Becca.
Jenny
What a fantastic photo of you and Eddie, Sam!! It's worth framing. I'm glad he cheered you up so.
Sam, I thought you might know the answer to this. Are 'the Verve' the same as 'the Verve Pipe'?
Jenny
They're not the same band. The Verve are the Richard Ashcroft led, English band with songs like 'Bittersweet symphony' and 'Drugs don't work' etc. The Verve Pipe I think are an American band that had a few hits in the late 90s. I personally much, much prefer the Verve.
by the way, its very nice having you on our blog Jenny! Sam
Thanks Sam. It was something that was causing me some confusion as I downloaded some 'Verve' songs, but there was 'Verve Pipe' mixed up in the list with the same song titles. Mmmm. I ended up getting both bands in that case.
How did you get the black and white design down the edge of your blog? I have been having great fun adding stuff to mine.
Jenny
Am green with envy at you all being there in Clapham together. Did you and Anita get to the Geffrye, Becca?? Have just organised for your birthday gift to be sent from Daunts Bookshop. Hope it arrives on time.
Post a Comment